I found a few familiar faces among my group and it brought me comfort to see them still surviving. We practiced a few formations and I was assigned with two others to take up the rear for the night. Again there was a lot of standing around and the same twitch I had felt through last night's mission returned. The only difference was my foot was killing me, I was freezing, and I wasn't minding the easy conversation that was happening among me and my fellow soldiers.
Out of nowhere, a giant group of zombies appeared from the East, marching towards us. Many of my fellows ran to the back - I went to the front to see what was going on. The zombie horde turned and marched to the North as the two Death Captains approached us. It wasn't a particularly frightening speech but we discovered that they had taken our harbinger and we needed to go and get him back. I chuckled as many of those around me were mumbling about how we didn't really need him and that they'd rather stay alive. So, off went the Death Captains and off we went the other way.
We had decided to travel as an entire faction rather than in companies, I didn't like traveling in such big groups - it cut down on the fun, made us move ten times slower, and it was easier to be spotted but I suppose that was the point tonight. Everyone was supposed to die anyway.
We snuck through the South side of campus, all the while me and two comrades taking up the rear. We were ready for anything, but there was nothing to be ready for. I spotted a few zombie scouts and knew that our whereabouts were obviously known - most of the night we were simply sneaking about, waiting for information on what to do. I just followed where they told me to go. As my friend said, that's the nice thing about being a soldier - you just do what you're told.
Eventually, we made it to the ENGR building where the battle would commence. The numbers frightened most of those around me, and even though I had one of the smallest guns I was at the front. The zombies were in three groups, we were in two. The night had only grown colder and my thin hood and scarf weren't doing much at protecting me from the bitter chill setting into my bones. We made a wall and started to move forward into the open - their North flank advanced on us, we circled in a disorganized sort of way leaving too many gaps. Everyone was shooting, shouting, running. The South flank came to attack from the other side and that's when I was munched on.
How it really happened: My backside was turned and some boy just grabbed my shoulder and kept it there till I handed over my card.
How I like to envision it: We were a group of about eight people. My two rear guard comrades and myself stood shooting at whatever came at us, a few were knelt down around me - everyone facing out. A giant piece of the horde came from our right but not enough of us noticed our backs, the commotion was too overwhelming, bullets were whizzing through the air, sock balls whistling and exploding as they made contact on rotting flesh, screams from the living being made into the undead - as I turned I watched as two of my comrades who had been covering my six were ripped to shreds. The two zombies looked up from their meal and came snarling at me, blood dripping from their chins - I shot them square in the face but had little time to react to the zombie hurdling at me from the left. He chomped down on my shoulder, hard - I cried out in pain and flailed as he drug me away from my comrades and into the darkness.
I woke up, bleeding, cold, and hungry for brains.
No comments:
Post a Comment