09 October 2012

Zombies Night #1

The night is still young as me and my comrade make our way through the streets to the meeting place designated by our captain. It is quite a distance from our hide out but we're willing and ready to take on any onslaught that may occur in our small trek. As luck would have it, we spotted a few zombies but find ourselves concealed by the night - we arrive safely to our faction.
We all check our weapons and talk of the mission ahead. I find myself calming the nerves of a few new comers who have never under gone a zombie horde before. They decide to stick with me and I'm happy to help bring them any confidence they may lack - I'm determined to survive!

I'm in Fate's faction and at first I didn't know what that meant but I'm finding out more and more that he is taking a different approach to what is happening and I find myself liking his tactics. Solomon is very aggressive and all about taking out anyone and everyone that may pose as a threat - as fun and enjoyable as it is to shoot zombies all day long, it's not solving any of the problems. I think I'll enjoy the more strategic approach, sneaking around was always my favorite.
They begin to tell us what our mission is - a search for clues to find a relic that is apparently important to the zombie horde. The new comers quiver, I'm anxious to get going as our leader let's the seconds go by trying to decide what our first move will be. We're standing in the middle of a giant field, the perfect place to get surrounded and munched on. I start moving towards our decided point and getting others to follow - I'm being pushy but the scout group is getting too far ahead and our captain isn't keeping a grip on the group. It's either survive or die.
A horde is seen coming from the East - my group begins to panic and run, the horde spreads out running towards us. Fortunately there is enough of us with a calm head telling the group to clump together as we shoot at the few who get too close. We lose a member. The horde backs off and we're moving again. The thrill and adrenaline have only just begun to grow in my gut.

We've lost the first scout group so another two people are designated, we also form a straggler group to watch the back. We're moving too slow for my liking, I want to speed things up. I keep moving from the back to the front, around the sides. Everyone seems to be on their toes as we walk through the dark corners and by the edges of the buildings. We make it to the first location, finding our original scout group alive and well, we then proceed to set up security groups for the two openings to the courtyard and begin searching for our first clue. In our endeavors we attract about three nasty zombies who hover close to the edges of our ranks. They're persistant and pesky, making everyone go on high alert.

The second location is decided on and we begin to move, the few zombies follow - they're hungry. The new comers are frightened and are getting panicky again. Our captain is shouting instructions to keep moving, the back will cover us, we need to keep moving, we need to stay together. I'm keeping an eye one one particular zombie who seems a little smarter than the rest. When we start to run, he starts rushing in. I shout out a few times to watch the left when he goes to dive in and shoot him multiple times. He's stunned and his comrades decide to fall back to a greater distance and as we round the next turn, all but the one has disappeared. I fear they may have gone for help.

I don't agree with where our captain is taking us. He's heading for an easy ambush area but I keep my mouth shut and just remember to keep the few around me safe. I know I'll be surviving tonight. I'm hoping my teammates will as well.
Like I expected three groups of eight or nine zombies come from the North, West and East, we bunch up near a wall. We lose two more. I see people I know in the zombie horde, I wonder if I'll see him tonight as I shoot two zombies running towards me.
The zombies are mostly stunned and we quickly make our way to our second location, setting up a half circle of security while a few of us search for the second clue. A bigger group of zombies appear from the West and that's when I see him. My heart skips and I'm nervous that he'll notice me. His eyes are black and sunken, there's blood on his face contrasting with the white. A love story never works out between a zombie and a human, I remind myself, and dutifully get back to searching for our clue. It's no where to be found and everyone is getting nervous with the growing numbers now surrounding us, we need to move and find that stupid clue. I suddenly can't help but watch for him.

We start moving West, towards him and his small band of zombies. I decide to take up rear scout as they push their way to the West. Our pesky friend is back and I take extra care to watch him, I taunt at him as we round the corner, set up our second area of security, and begin another search. There are so many zombies surrounding us and I have lost his face in the crowd, but I try to push the thought away as I try to search for the clue. It's no where to be seen. We report back to the captain and we decide to move back to the East. We move quickly as the re-spawn time is only a few minutes away. I find myself up front again, panic begins sweeping through the faction as a zombie horde appears ahead, behind, and to our right. That's when someone spots our clue - It's sticking to a window - I quickly grab it and run it to the captain. Time is becoming critical now, we're running behind and if we don't find that relic we're going to lose out on some benefits that could be the difference between life and death. Besides we don't even know if the next location is the relic or just another clue.

It's both a blessing and a curse that the next location is so close, the horde on us now is likely to follow but that means we won't be wasting time with moving, only defending as we move the short distance.
I take up the back with one of the sub captains and we're running backwards as about six zombies follow close behind us, stunned but ready to re-spawn. It's only a few minutes before we're following the same routine - set up and search. I've found his face again, he's across the road with a few minions toggling behind him - they're heading our way. They get to us just as we find the relic - then it's a stand still. We're not sure what to do next and there are only fifteen minutes or so before time is run out and we're safe for the night.

Again, I'm anxiously pacing within our group. No one is doing anything. A zombie rushes in every now and again but there is no news from the head of our faction - this is why I'm not a military person, the communication is too slow for me - maybe I should be a captain. We move to the East just enough to find a better set up, something that will protect our flanks. We have nine minutes.
Off in the distance we see a group of humans being attacked by a horde, a few escape and make it to our ranks safely - but zombies are close behind. They stand and stare at us like a Thanksgiving feast. I find myself start to panic as I realize we're trapped. He's suddenly back, dodging a few sock balls and directing the others to form a certain formation. I'm wishing we were on the same side but I'm also enjoying the irony of it all. The other zombies are calling for more back ups - I'm getting nervous that as the time ticks by the numbers will only grow. But surprisingly they don't.
Four minutes.
They rush.
They're stunned.

We survived the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment