25 October 2012

Falling Snow

Every night, I fall asleep to snow.
Big, puffy, white flakes flitting about -
Slowly, slowly, like graceful dancers...
Until they rest upon the ground.

"I was in Las Vegas two days ago, California two before that - last week it was Colorado."

Every night I am falling asleep to snow,
In my warm bed,
In my own room.

"Every night again she asks me 'Mommy when we going home?' and all I can say is 'I'm sorry baby, I know.'"

Every night they are falling asleep to snow.
     She's being stubborn and won't go inside.
     He's staying out because he loves her.
     This one's dreaming of his mansions.
     This one's just dreaming of a job.
     He just wants his picture taken to be remembered, to know he exists.
     He's thinking about his royal blood line and how he kissed a girls hand.
     She's just hoping that her little girl will be happy, that they'll move out and get away.
     And the little girl just wants to get off the school bus at a home, instead of a shelter.

"What would you say if you were in the presence of royalty?"

Every night, this time of year, the snow tumbles to the ground.
The cold cuts into the bone.
Fingers freeze, toes go numb.
Sometimes they're inside - on a cot or on the ground.
Sometimes they're sleeping by the airport to get out of the rain.

"What are you doing talking to a bunch of lovely lady movie stars?"

How does that even happen?
How does that even persist?
It's ugly, it's sick.
It's heartache.

"Every body wants to come to America. Nobody thinks poverty still exists."

Why can't it stop?

"It's always going to be there no matter what."

Gentle, icy snowflakes
Falling, falling down.

No comments:

Post a Comment