05 September 2012

Free Write - The Office Hours

I ran through the sprinklers in my work out shorts and a tank top. For the record I really didn't run through any sprinklers, but they were on as I walked into the dark back office at two in the morning and my tired mind just kinda clicked into the scene.
Meaning to get a lot of things done, I had managed to only cross off two things from my list of to do's. Now I was dreaming of running through sprinklers in hardly any clothes and kissing in the rain on a vent that resembled a platform on the Olympics but without the crowds or glory or winning placement.
Funny how the mind works and how as the morning hours slowly creep by so does the thoughts drifting in my head. It's time for bed, it repeats three or four times and I keep pressing the backspace then putting it down again until I decide to keep it on the page and just italicize the statement. Let's make it official, I think to myself - suddenly my head flips to a night a few months ago.
I'm sitting in the driver's seat, my feet propped up on one side, the seat all the way back, the Kindle in my hands glowing a dim light as I read. I keep thinking how strong his presence is to me and how calm I feel there. Nothing is going to happen tonight and I'll wake without any guilt. He got my name wrong when he asked. I remember laughing and wondering if it was because he was nervous. The stars were countless, the summer air temperate, and I couldn't stifle my desire to simply hold his hand.
The office is quiet and the time is spreading out even further, like a stretch of taffy - although I've never seen it done I can imagine what it would be like. There are noises popping up here and there. I am alone and should be frightened I think, but the noises seem to be the old building trying to tell me of all the other students who stayed up this late within these walls.
Sigh - the deep breath seems invigorating but I must face the truth that I simply must sleep. I wish I could just stay up and never be affected by it, but I know it's a bad idea and I have much to accomplish tomorrow.
I will turn off my computer, make my way back to my apartment - hoping all the residents are fast asleep and not breaking any policies - and then crawl into bed thinking about a boy I like and what to wear for morning coaching and the class that follows...

No comments:

Post a Comment