#15 Something or someone you couldn’t live without, because you’ve tried living without it:
To tell you the truth I don't think there is anything I couldn't really live without.
Oh wait...
I take that back.
My Religion.
(And yes, I have tried living without it)
I am a joyful (sometimes angry), little, Latter Day Saint. Aka A Mormon.
As ashamed as I am to say it, I wasn't always proud to be.
It didn't really become a part of me until I hit age sixteen or so.
I had shunned it from a young age...
And I was so unhappy.
People tell me that being a Mormon means you can't do anything. You can't do this and this and this and this.
They tell me that being a Mormon means I'm resigning myself to being nothing more than a housewife. Doomed to forever cook, clean, slave over children, participate in 'relief society' and never reach my full potential in the real world.
They say I'll never know what the world has to offer. They say I follow our Prophet blindly. That I don't accept Gays. I'll never know 'fun' or a 'good time'.
They don't understand.
It's funny to me how people presume my own beliefs. That Mormons are all alike. They don't ask, they don't give me the chance to show them why we believe what we believe. They make it such a huge deal that it causes discontent between us and ruins any chance of getting to know each other. [Why can't they just sit down and get their facts straight? Why must they be so quick to anger, twisting words and only taking the shallow meanings?]
My religion is part of me. Just like your own beliefs are apart of you. And just because we don't agree on some things doesn't mean we can't play nice, now does it?
It's who I am.
I can't live (happily) without it.
((Sorry for the rant. This is something that always hurts.))
(Don't get angry at me, because you know how I feel...)
ReplyDeleteIt happens both ways, a lot. I've heard it both ways, a lot. A lot more from the religious end than from not, but maybe that's just because I'm on the other side.
It is in humanity's nature to judge and presume, though I'll never know why.